In this episode I talk with producer and long time friend Mark Heidelberger about some screenwriting lessons from recent films like Rush, Prisoners, Gravity, and The Dallas Buyers Club.
You can also read a transcript of this episode.
In the interview Mark talks about 12 questions to help writers with their stories. Here are the twelve questions.
12 Questions For Crafting Your Story
- What’s the genre? Is it a studio or independent?
- What’s the tone? (Two examples of movies similar in tone, not plot.)
- Who is the intended audience of the story?
- What’s your favorite scene/idea?
- Who’s the main character?
- What’s the main relationship?
- What’s the narrative question driving the story?
- What’s the thematic question of the story?
- What’s the main character’s goal?
- What’s the main character’s flaw in achieving that goal?
- Who’s the primary antagonist of the story?
- What’s the primary antagonist’s goal/flaw?
Links mentioned in the show:
To get my free guide, “How to Sell Your Screenplay in 5 Weeks” go here: https://www.sellingyourscreenplay.com/guide/