Selling Your Screenplay is proud to announce the second in a series of live online courses dedicated to helping people write better screenplays.
Hopefully after the last online class, Choosing a Marketable Concept, you now have a solid story concept that you feel is marketable and ready to be written.
But it’s not time to begin writing your screenplay, yet! Not until after you’ve taken this second online class!
Hopefully after this class you will have everything you need to write a professional, marketable screenplay that has a good chance of selling.
One of the biggest mistakes I see from new writers is that they begin writing their screenplay way too early. Many writers don’t spend nearly enough time honing their log lines, building their stories, writing their outlines, or getting to know their characters. And once the first draft of a screenplay is written, it’s often times too late to correct major flaws that could have been easily avoided with proper preparation.
This class will be taught by me, Ashley Scott Meyers. I’m an actual screenwriter with real screenwriting credits, not a “guru” or screenwriting teacher.
During this online class you will learn…
- You will learn my method for writing compelling log lines, and how to write them with ease.
- You will learn how important screenplay structure is.
- You will learn how to implement proper screenplay structure into your story.
- You will learn how to write an outline that will result in a professional screenplay.
- You will learn how to craft interesting, memorable, and unique characters.
- You will learn how to craft a memorable ending to your story.
In this online class I will…
- I will be illustrating what I teach with real movie examples.
- I will explain the entire pre-writing process that I have used to write ALL the screenplays that I have sold.
- I will show you exactly how I go about outlining a story by showing you a real outline from the current spec screenplay that I’m working on.
- I will give you several exercises that will help you craft a solid outline for your story.
You should take this class if…
- You should take this class if you have a solid concept for a screenplay but aren’t quite sure how to turn it into a fully developed, professional level screenplay.
- You should take this class if you’ve written a screenplay or two (or three) but are having a hard time getting them up to professional standards.
- You should take this class if you want to give your screenplay the best possible chance of selling once it’s done.
A couple of notes…
I am a big fan of Blake Snyder’s Save The Cat so if you haven’t read it, you probably should get a copy and give it a read before the class. I will be using a lot of the concepts that he teaches in his book so it will be helpful if you’re already familiar with them it will be helpful.
You can buy Save The Cat from Amazon here: https://www.sellingyourscreenplay.com/productlinks/amazon/Save+The+Cat
I will also be talking briefly about some of the concepts in Lajos Egri’s great book, The Art of Dramatic Writing so if you haven’t read it in a while, it’s probably a good idea to check that one out, too.
You can buy The Art of Dramatic Writing from Amazon here:
Throughout this class I will be using The Wizard of Oz to illustrate many of the concepts that I teach, so please make sure you’re very familiar with this story.
The next few online courses will be about actually writing your screenplay. But you don’t want to start writing your screenplay until you have done the proper preparation!
By taking this series of online classes, you should have a marketable, professional screenplay by the end of it that’s ready to be sent out to agents, managers and producers.
The original class took place on October 26th, 2013. The class was recorded so you can take the class anytime by joining Selling Your Screenplay Select.